FRED ROYAL, President
The Milwaukee Black Membership
Organizations GOTV Collaborative
Collective Core Issues
- Work to stop the school-to-prison pipeline. There are disciplinary processes but the actions are not equivalent to the city ordinances or state statutes. The current civil rights investigations are regarding MPS for the higher rates of suspensions towards African-American children.
- Hold Dr. Posley accountable for his commitment that the Director of Student Services will sit down with the city attorney and other stakeholders to evaluate the language in the student discipline handbook.
- Focusing on addressing inequalities by providing urban students with equitable access to resources by being committed to providing educational and social support to students and their families. Such as but not limited to:
- Fair and equitable school funding for all
- Qualified, effective and diverse administration and faculty
- Develop initiatives to secure equity in access to educational opportunities.
- Encourage STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts and math) based academics targeting specific neighborhood schools
- Create a task force with representation from these membership organizations to seek solution based outcomes in order to strengthen high schools and re-engage students to prevent dropouts Commit to ensure there is representation on the school board by individuals that represent the collective priorities of members of these organizations and the communities of which they serve.
2. Fair Housing
- Low housing tax credits applied to developments need to be provided to the targeted populations. Minorities are not benefiting from these
- A recent resolution passed by County Board of Supervisors included “house vouchers” as protect statues. We will work to review and amend as necessary the entire resolution to ensure that all forms of discrimination are excluded.
- Work with City, County, and State leadership to appoint a representative from these membership organizations in order to develop programs to secure equitable access to affordable housing and home ownership strategies.
- Implement Anti-Displacement strategies for vulnerable impacted residents of color in core-city neighborhoods adjacent to downtown development projects.
- Uphold the resolution ensuring housing vouchers as a protective class status.
- Work to ensure that the Community Advisory Committee is in place.
- The First Source Agreement needs to be executed with Employ Milwaukee.
- Work to ensure that there is a strategic workforce inclusion plan to reduce unemployment for African-Americans
- Provide funding and resources for pre-employment skills training to community residents, stabilizing their economic conditions and increasing self-sufficiency
- Provide Employment Assistance Program services to assist job-seekers to prepare for employment.
- New job training models coupled with job placement
- Improving and integrating current data systems
- Address the lead laterals in Milwaukee
- Advocate for the removal of lead laterals, as well as, ensure that water filters are also provided to the schools; not just to residences. Understanding that levels at schools can vary depending on the time of testing. MPS should not have to take on this cost.
- Work to mandate that there are school entry requirements for all children to be tested for lead poisoning prior to school entry.
- Sexually transmitted diseases
- Work with the City of Milwaukee Health Department and Milwaukee Public Schools to ensure that screenings are conducted on a routine basis and comprehensive education is in place.
- Work to ensure that all schools have updated defibrillators to optimize their emergency response on-site and capacity to save lives, as well as, partner with the City Health systems, and advocacy groups to ensure the facility and student body are adequately trained. MPS should not have to take on the cost.
5. Criminal Justice and Police Reform and Accountability
- Widespread use of body cameras and dashboard cameras
- Fight to ensure that citizens should be allowed to review footage of critical incidents with law enforcement officers before making any statements pertaining to any encounters with law enforcement.
- Implement the findings of the Department of Justice Voluntary Collaborative Review
- Broken Windows Reform and Implementation of 21st century Community Policing Model
- Review and Revision of Police Use Deadly Force Policies
- Comprehensive Retraining of all Police Officers
- Comprehensive Review and Strengthening of Police Hiring Standards
- National Comprehensive Anti-racial profiling Law & Religious Profiling